Google Apps is a cloud-based productivity suite designed to help businesses stay connected while working securely from anywhere on any device. With tools such as Docs, Contacts, Sites and Calendar, Google Apps helps to streamline everyday tasks and makes collaboration effortless.
Step 1: Create a Google Apps Account
To sign up for a Google Apps account:
- Go to www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/
- Click the green Get Started button.
- Complete the About you form and click Next.
- On the next page, click Actually, I own a domainthat I'd like to use.
- In the Your own domain box, enter the domain you wish to set up with Google Apps.
- Click Next.
- Complete the Create your Google account form.
- Click Accept and signup when finished.
Step 2: Verify Domain Ownership
Once a Google Apps account has been created, the domain used during registration will need to be verified. To do this:
- Sign into your Google Apps dashboard at http://google.com/a/your_domain.com
Note: Upon your first time logging into Google Apps, you will be prompted to verify your account via text message or voice call.
- Note: You will need to replace your_domain with the actual domain with which your Google Apps account is registered.
- From the admin console, click Start Setup.
- Click the Verify Domain button that will appear immediately thereafter.
- In the pop-up, click Begin verification.
- From the drop-down menu, select your domain registrar.
- Follow the prompt from Google Apps to add a TXT or CNAME record to your DNS configuration.
- If your domain is registered with HostGator and you are unsure of how to add a DNS record, please see the following article: How to Change DNS Zones.
- Click Verify.
Once Google has verified your ownership of the domain, you will receive a confirmation message.
Step 3: Complete Setup in cPanel
Go to cPanel >> MX Records
A. Set the email service to Remote Mail exchange
B. Remove the mail record and set the following
|Name/Host/Alias||Time to Live (TTL*)||Record Type||Priority||Value/Answer/Destination|
|Blank or @||3600||MX||1||ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.|
|Blank or @||3600||MX||5||ALT1.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.|
|Blank or @||3600||MX||5||ALT2.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.|
|Blank or @||3600||MX||10||ALT3.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.|
|Blank or @||3600||MX||10||ALT4.ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM.|
- You will receive the following message confirming that Google Apps setup is complete.